keskiviikko 23. maaliskuuta 2016

Death of the Little Match Girl, take 2


Title: Death of the Little Match Girl
Original title: Smrt djevojčice sa žigicama
Author: Zoran Ferić
Published: 2002
Genre: Murder mystery
Pages: 193



I said I'd re-read it soon(ish)! I was seriously thinking of re-reading Death of the Little Match Girl ever since last summer (like, it was in the back of my mind, not like, Have to read it NOW!) and picked it up one morning while reading Fingersmith, as that one's a big book and takes up a lot of space in my bag. Love it, though.

As I loved this one, more than last time. I remember being a bit suspicious for the first 100 pages or so last time, but now I just dove straight into the strangeness. You can read in the link what the book is about. I'm just gonna add to that, that it was really worth the reading, and the re-reading, and further re-readings. Yay! Unfortunately it doesn't really look like any other books by Ferić have been translated to English. Boo.


I made an unforeseen visit to the island to mourn an unexpected death and attend a child's funeral. I even bought a wreath--a futile effort to frame the emptiness with flowers--and with it like a cross on my shoulder, I climbed the stone path to the cemetery atop the hill. My friend's daughter had died. Her coffin was small and white, no bigger than a kitchen water heater box, and on that little white coffin was a wreath of white roses with a white sash and gold letters: TO MIRNA FROM MUMMY AND DADDY. The white lace, in which the six-year-old had been wrapped as if at baptism, was sticking out of the coffin. God loves irony. All this white was not accidental. Her father was a Hajduk fan. 


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti