sunnuntai 21. kesäkuuta 2009

Suzy, Led Zeppelin and me

Title: Suzy, Led Zeppelin and me
Author: Martin Millar
Published: 2008 by Soft Skull Press
Genre: Biography & gig review
Pages: 222


Another Martin Millar book! Actually, the third I've read lately, but I didn't have time to write about Lux the Poet when I had it on me, and now it's not on me. Maybe tomorrow, but tomorrow I won't have this one on me so here goes.

It's 1972, and Led Zeppelin have just announced their upcoming concert in Glasgow, where nerdy, young Martin and his equally nerdy friend Greg are dreaming about Suzy, dragons, and Led Zeppelin. There's also Zed, the coolest kid in school who Suzy loves and the boys admire, and Cherry, a younger, also very nerdy girl who wants to join Martin and Greg's dragon army.

It is also modern day in London, where Martin is telling about that gig and what went on before, during and after it to his friend Manx, while judging in a literary competition and watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Like with books about Alby and Lux, this one comes separated into short chapters, and both timelines move on towards the big gig (and the judging). But unlike the other two books, there are only a small handful of people in this one. Still, Millar is as good as ever, and doesn't leave out even the embarrassing things from his teenage years. At least those that are involved with the subject of the book.

The 1972 Led Zeppelin gig is told in far more detail than I can remember any gigs I've gone to, and because of that (and mention of all the songs in the order they were played, which is nice, because the reader can listen to them as well) it feels like the gig is happening as it's been read about. And I'm pretty sure that anyone who's been on a really good gig knows how Mr. Millar felt on 4th December 1972.


"Now I've come to the start of the gig. So the next fifteen chapters or so are pretty much just me dancing around in Green's Playhouse, listening to Led Zeppelin and having a fabulous time. But read on. For one thing, I get my first proper kiss. For another, the gig will be over before you know it and then you'll be back in the real world, and how much fun is that?

"When Led Zeppelin walk onstage I get a very strange feeling in my chest before I'm carried off to a place where I am not troubled by worldly cares."


Aww, I wanna go to a concert now...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti