keskiviikko 18. huhtikuuta 2012

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Title: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Published: Haven't the foggiest.
Genre: Detective stories!
Pages: ...881.


This one was a first in many ways! First time I read Sherlock Holmes -stories, and first time I read a book on a mobile phone. Okay, that's just two firsts, actually. But I bet Sir A. C. D. didn't imagine as he wrote these stories that one day, 100+ years in the future, you could read his writings on this small thingie that fits into your palm, and sometimes makes turning a page a pain in the ass.

This bunch was a collection of 12 (I think...) Sherlock Holmes -stories, and I don't think they were in any particular order. The narrator, doctor John Watson, would start with a story, and in the beginning of the next one would say how this one happened yeaaaars ago. But then again, I don't know if this is how it was supposed to be, if this really is the real order the stories were written in.

Anyhoo, yeah, I was hooked. Both by the brainteasers and the thrill of newness of reading a book. On my mobile. I'm sure I remembered to mention that I can read books on my mobile to everyone I know about three times. I've been averse to getting a Kindle or something like it since I love the feel of an actual book in my hands, and also because of th price, but after this experience, maybe it wouldn't be such a horrible thing...

The stories? Yes, I definitely want to read the rest as well. I've seen both recent Sherlock Holmes -movies and became an instant fan when I saw the BBC Sherlock-series set in modern times. Other than that, my reason for not picking up these classics before is probably due to my slight aversion to classics, thinking them long-winded or boring. This is a silly aversion, as I've quite enjoyed the few classics I've read. So I shall be checking those out one day, trying to figure out what's going on before Watson gets it.

1 kommentti:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Sherlock_Holmes

    This. This is what I read. From

    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

    <3

    VastaaPoista