torstai 28. elokuuta 2014

Fool's Assassin



Title: Fool's Assassin
Author: Robin Hobb
Published: 2014!
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 630


This is it! This is why I've spent the last 6 months or so re-reading! Don't get me wrong, it was great to read Mrs. Hobb's books again, I very much enjoyed spending time with some of my favourite fantasy characters. It feels odd now to have the 'freedom' to read whatever I want. Kinda scary.

I finished Fool's Ass, as I like to call this book, last Saturday night, and have been wondering ever since what to write about without swearing profusely. FFS, Fitz, you cannot be that blind! *deep breath. Deep breath. Deep breath* I'm sorry. I'm cool. I'm good. You're older and smarter, damn it, how can you not--- sorry. Sorry. Sorry.

I loved this book, I wolfed it down in large helpings. It was so nice to see Fitz with the life he had been hoping for, the one he had earned time and time again. With the woman he'd loved all his life, just... being. Happy. Not all that much smarter than he was as a teenager, obviously, but happy. It was what we rarely see in the genre: the hero after the adventures are over. Living the quiet life. It was also bitterweet to meet some of the other characters, or to hear what had happened to them. Time has passed since the last trilogy, and passed fast during this book, and not everyone could make it through.

But it's not all happy days and long winter evenings. Trouble once again comes knocking, and forces Fitz out of retirement. The final kick that gets his ass on the move is... wow. That was probably the first time in my life I had to put a book down and walk around the apartment for a while, chanting No no nono nooo no no this is not happening no n o noooooooooo no no nooo in my head. I had to pour myself a biiig glass of red wine and drink most of it before I could sit back down and read. You're a cruel lady, Mrs. Hobb. I love you for it.


   I had known that Buck had changed. Now I saw that the changes had happened all through the Six Duchies. The roads were wider than I recalled, and the lands more settled. Fields of grain grew where there had once been open pasturage. Towns sprawled along the road, so that sometimes it seemed one scarcely ended before the next began. There were more inns and towns along the way, though the size of our party sometimes overwhelmed the accomodations. The wild lands were being tamed, brought under the plow, and fenced for pasture. I wondered where the wolves hunted now. 


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti