maanantai 16. helmikuuta 2015

Frankenstein


Title: Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus
Author: Mary Shelley
Published: 1818, this ed. from 1977
Genre: Horror
Pages: 242




Of the three books I started almost simultaneously after finishing the Hexslinger books, I honestly thought I'd finish Hot Valley first. Nope, not even halfway through. Fahrenheit 451 and this one stole my daytime attentions. Spent most of yesterday reading the 'last' 150 pages of this one!

Published originally in 1818, this might well be the oldest book I've ever read, and it is a famous one. Most people are familiar with the scary shape of the movie-Frankenstein's monster if not the film itself (I've only seen Mel Brooks' Frankenstein Junior, and that's years ago). Still, I didn't know what exactly to expect once I started to read the book. The beginning didn't quite catch my interest, and until young Frankenstein started to build his monster I was wondering whether to quit reading. And then I was hooked.

The language in the book is obviously old, but Shelley describes the nature beautifully, and the experiences of both Frankenstein and his monster quite tragically. There were a few times when I wanted to slap young Victor for being an idiot. Dramatic little git... but yes! I only meant to read a few chapters yesterday, and 150 pages just went like whoosh. Beautiful story.


   I suddenly beheld the figure of a man, at some distance advancing towards me with superhuman speed. He bounded over the crevices in the ice, among which I had walked with caution; his stature, also, as he approached, seemed to exceed that of a man. I was troubled: a mist came over my eyes, and I felt a faintness seize me; but I was quickly restored by the cold gale of the mountains. I perceived, as the shape came nearer (sight tremendous and abhorred!) that it was the wretch whom I had created. I trembled with rage and horror, resolving to wait his approach; his countenance bespoke bitter anguish, combined with disdain and malignity, while his unearthly ugliness rendered it almost too horrible for human eyes.





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti