sunnuntai 2. tammikuuta 2011

There Will Be Rainbows

Title: There Will Be Rainbows
Author: Kirk Lake
Published: 2009 by Orion Books
Genre: Biugraphy.
Pages: 264 + discography + index + stuff


Oh dear. This was read last year, but updating? Didn't happen. I'm not quite sure December happened, either. Did it? It's all quite confusing.

Anyway. The biography of Rufus Wainwright, my favourite singer/songwriter. The name is a misquote, actually, from his song 14th Street. The actual lyrics go "And there'll be rainbows..." which is addressed in the book and stuff. So it's an intentional misquote, and it's explained, so... why am I telling you all this? I don't know.

This took a looong while to read, considering I started it in November, and finished over xmas. But, as much as I love Rufus, and as interesting as it was to read about him and his family, sibling rivalry and everything, it was kinda like studying for an exam. I have read a few biographies before, and, with all my love to Rufus, enjoyed them far more. The writer would ramble on about record executives and politics, which was... boring, and go on about what Rufus' dad, mom, sister and other family members were doing, which was more interesting, considering I'm also a fan of his mom & aunt and sister, not so the dad, but. It would do all that and then pass some big, huge incidents in the main subject's life with barely a nod. 'Yes, yes, then he got raped, but this and that was also happening and the records didn't sell and DreamWorks was going bust.' It was an essay on contemporary music and record deals as much, or more so, as a biography. I was kinda hoping it would be the other way.


"Time takes a sabbatical when Rufus Wainwright sings. (...)"


Amen, New York Times, amen.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti