lauantai 3. tammikuuta 2015

Year 2014!

Another year is over! It passed so fast with all these good books to read. Here's a look, with a meme I found on the net.


1. Best Book of 2014 – Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell. I was hooked from the start, hooked, disturbed and terrified. I learned that 'palimpsest' is an actual word. I wanted to read it again as soon as I'd finished it. Well, after getting over the ending, anyway.

2. Worst Book of 2014 – That would be the one I stopped reading halfway through, after I realised I didn't care what happens in it. I still don't want to name it, I want to give it another chance in case it was just my mood that was making it sour.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2014Huonosti käyttäytyvät jumalat/Gods behaving badly, by Marie Phillips. It wasn't bad and I did like it, it had great and funny ideas. Maybe I'm also disappointed in what I read about the movie version. 

4. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2014The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon. I'd heard about it and wanted to check it out, but I didn't think I'd like it quite as much as I do. I want to re-read it already (along with a few others from 2014...).

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2014Staalo by Stefan Spjut. A Swedish thriller/urban fantasy about trolls. I know that at least one person read it!

6. Best series you discovered in 2014 – Ben Aaronovitch's books about Peter Grant, police officer/wizard in London. Funny, fast and full of London. What's not to love? Third book waiting to be read!

7. Favourite new authors you discovered in 2014 – So many! Jackie Kay, Ben Aaronovitch, Stefan Spjut, Wesley Stace... I'd pick up a book by any of them without hesitation.

8. Most hilarious read of 2014Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Always funny.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2014 – There were quite many of those, too, but to name one I haven't mentioned yet, Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. Proper scary, too. Thanks to summer holiday, I could read most of it in one sitting.

10. Book you most anticipated in 2014Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb, reason why I spent a few months happily re-reading her earlier works. It was nice to meet old favourite characters again. Like seeing old friends.

11. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2014 It's probably Aaronovitch's Rivers of London, for the wonderful map. Have I mentioned that I love London? Like, in the last five minutes? All the books in the series have similar covers.


12. Most memorable character in 2014 – It would be really easy to say the Fool from Robin Hobb's books. The Fool has been my favourite of the series, and on a grander scale as well, for years. In any form/persona. I really loved Rose Old from Misfortune as well, and cared deeply for Max from Golden Boy. And how could I ever forget Winston Smith from Nineteen Eighty-four. But, let's go with the Fool.

13. Most beautifully written book in 2014Why Don't You Stop Talking by Jackie Kay. Short stories that still lasted lifetimes.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2014 – I can't think of just one, one that would have truly shook my world, but there were many that made me give it a good look from a bit of a different angle, maybe to understand a few new thing: Nineteen Eighty-four, of course, Lois Lowry's The Giver Quartet, The Curious Incident..., and The Quarry by Iain Banks.

15. Book you can’t believe you waited until 2014 to finally read?Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell. What else am I missing out on?



That's 2014 done! My goal was to read more books than in 2013, and I certainly topped that! I read more in 2014 than in any year I've been keeping this journal. Whee! Goal for 2015, reading-wise, is to enjoy it, and to get on with The List. Maybe another Reading Bingo, since it was so much fun!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti