sunnuntai 23. lokakuuta 2011

Pedestrian Wolves

Title: Pedestrian Wolves
Author: James L. Grant
Published: 2004 by Prime Books
Genre: ...travel guide.
Pages: 231


Okay, it's actually a week or two already since I finished this, for the second time, but let's try to remember what I wanted to write... this was the second time I've read Pedestrian Wolves, first time being in 2007 when going to, attending and coming from a music festival halfway across Finland, and a book about Halloween weekend partying in New Orleans was pretty appropriate reading material then.

It's about this guy, David Livingstone, a hedonistic Predator -living life for its pleasures, and taking them where and whenever he can- who gets let loose in New Orleans for a long weekend of partying, walking, drinking and having sex. What he wasn't expecting was that the city would suddenly start talking to him. Like, really talking to him.

David's character is well rounded up, and I enjoyed reading about his adventures again, even though there were a few things that annoyed me; the one I can remember at the top of my head being describing a sexy woman, who could 'lose a few pounds' to be even sexier. But other than that, Pedestrian Wolves is a pretty darn good book, and the way David comes to feel about New Orleans is pretty much how I feel about London, even though never in my travels there have I heard the city actually talking to me like that. Except maybe to mention that it's time for tea or Guinness. But hey, when isn't it?


Yes, I thought. I would like that. But I would also like to burn tonight. I would like to prey. Do you understand what I mean? I would have you open yourself to me, New Orleans, and show me how hot a pedestrian wolf can run through your beautiful streets. I am convinced that what I am experiencing is completely real and I now know that you are not a hallucination or a sign of mental defect in myself. However, if this is all true, I ask you to fill me with your wine, give me your women, play me your song, and let a Predator run easy through the dark places you have made. Give me excess beyond compare and the fruit of life ripe on the vine. Give me Jade and give me a night of everything that I could ever imagine.
One heartbeat passed.
Traveler, do you know what you ask? The tone of the city was mildly surprised, and also held a hint of warning.
No, I thought. I do not. But I ask it again: Give me everything you can.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti