lauantai 13. huhtikuuta 2013

The Hound of the Baskervilles


Title: The Hound of the Baskervilles
Author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Published: 1902. That's one hundred and eleventy years ago.
Genre: Detective fiction
Pages: 359 according to Wikipedia. Didn't seem that long on the Kindle app.


Aah, help, I've been starting new books left, right and center all willy-nilly and without finishing any of the ones I'm already reading! But there are so many I want to read...

Okay. The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of the few (four?) novel-length Sherlock Holmes -stories Sir ACD wrote, and instead of London, a fairly usual setting for the Holmes-stories, it's set in Dartmoor, in England's West Country. Sir Charles Baskerville has died under mysterious circumstances, leaving his house to his only living relative, nephew Henry Baskerville, who has been living across the sea since he was a kid. I can't remember whether it was in Canada or the United States, or both. Anyway, a family friend, doctor Mortimer, comes to Holmes and Watson, to ask the great detective to figure out what the hell happened to the late Sir, and why there was a huge paw print next to his body.

I think I've mentioned my obsession interest for the BBC series Sherlock. One of the episodes/movies is a modern-day version of this, and even though the names are same, people and places, with some updated changes, the story is different enough that I really had no idea who was the bad guy while reading the book. Which was nice.And now I want to continue with the short Holmes-stories again...


"Mr. Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!"

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti