maanantai 1. joulukuuta 2014

Milk, sulphate and Alby Starvation


Title: Milk, sulphate and Alby Starvation
Author: Martin Millar
Published: The Kindle edition is from 2008. I think?
Genre: Humorous fiction
Pages: 169


Oh look, it's my old favourite! Thing is, I bought a used Kindle Paperwhite last week, and wanted to kick it off with something special. So now I have the Finnish book version, the English book version, and a Kindle version. Ooh, I hope Lux the Poet appears as a Kindle edition soon...

Here's the last time I read Alby, just about a year ago. Alby is a very small-time drug dealer living in Brixton, London, concerned with just about everything, sure that the world is out to get him. It kind of is: there really is an assassin after him. A very capable assassin. What will happen to his comic collection if he dies?! It's such a lovely short book that makes you giggle and happy, I mean, what's not to love?


   I didn't mean to aggravate the Milk Marketing Board, I mean, I never wanted all that publicity in the first place. I was just trying to be helpful. How was I to know they would end up with their poorest ever May sales since they began keeping records?
   I was really ill some time ago. I don't want to imply that I'm well now, just that then I was a lot worse.
   My doctor really loathes me. Every time I go to see him he talks to me with open contempt, he's putting out a front that he thinks I'm a hypochondriac but really he knows I'm sick and he enjoys seeing me suffer. Upper-class bastard, what's he doing being a doctor in this area if he hates us? Bastard.


I want to go on about the Kindle a little. I've had the free app on my phone for a few years now, and I've been thinking about getting a proper one for far longer. Hell, I didn't give this much thought to getting my half-sleeve tattoo! I was sceptic over whether I'd learn to read a tiny tablet instead of a proper book. I love my phone, I do, but it's not a thing built specifically for reading, and therefore is not the most comfortable reading device out there. But, there is the issue of my bookshelves being extremely full, and though used paperbacks are cheap, there's postage and planes flying and the poor postman etc etc. So going a little electronic is not all bad.

But yeah, I read up on all the different kinds and decided upon the Paperwhite, once I'd get rich have a few extra euros stashed away. I didn't even think about checking out the Finnish version of E-bay or anything like that, not until last Thursday. And when I did, this guy who lives in a house I bus past twice a day on my way to work and back home had only hours before put his practically new Kindle for sale (turns out he buys almost all the new types and passes the old ones on. It's a year old, but hardly used!). It was, like, meant to be! Six in the morning, he puts it up for sale, and six in the evening, it's in my grabby little hands, for less than half the price of a new one. So worth it.


EDIT straight away: In January I decided to aim for 35 books in 2014. This was #35! Yay! Take that, 2013!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti