maanantai 18. toukokuuta 2015

The King in Yellow



Title: The King in Yellow
Author: Robert W. Chambers
Published: 1895
Genre: Science fiction short stories
Pages: ~200 on the Kindle




I was checking the internets on whether one of my new favourite authors Gemma Files has written any new books, and came across an anthology called A Season in Carcosa. "Wait a minute," I thought, "that sounds bloody familiar... from True Detective!" I've watched the TV-series twice, and will 'happily' watch it a few more times, I'm sure. The connection got me curious, and after some searching I found Ambrose Bierce's short story An Inhabitant of Carcosa, which apparently started the whole mythos that is going strong to this day.


Chambers's book followed soon after, and is a collection of short, spooky stories. The first five are more or less connected with the fictitious book within the book, the King in Yellow, which does funny things to the head when read. And they're pretty damn good and spooky. The horror is creeping and the stories captivating, even if I did guess some of the twists.

The last four stories are less disturbing bits about American artists in Paris. Not so good as the first five, but I did come for the spookiness. Stayed for the good writing. Will return to Carcosa for the creepiness.




Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink beneath the lake,
The shadows lengthen
          In Carcosa.


Strange is the night where the black stars rise, 
And strange moons circle through the skies
But stranger still is
          Lost Carcosa.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti