torstai 7. toukokuuta 2015

Lux the Poet


Title: Lux the Poet
Author: Martin Millar
Published: Not sure of this Kindle version
Genre: Fun fiction
Pages: 160


What can I say about Lux that I haven't said before? Except that has it really been FOUR years since I last read it?! Feels like a lot less. Anyway. Since it's one of my absolute favourite books, I bought it on the Kindle as soon as it was 'available'. I don't know, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I haven't figured this Kindle thing completely out yet.

To my giddy delight, the poet Luxos was in Mr Millar's latest book (I hadn't read anything about it before it came out, jumped in blind, pleasantly surprised!), and I got the urge to read Lux the Poet again. Is this really only the fourth time? Maybe I've read it more, but haven't reported here, not to seem... obsessive or something. I don't know. It's a good book! Makes you happy and stuff, even if it's set within a riot, and there are plenty of serious issues and even graphic violence. Still. I love it.


   They walk on in silence for a while, but Lux has an urge to talk.
   "Brixton is in chaos," he says out loud to the whole world. "All around buildings burn whilst police and rioters battle it out. Somewhere in the darkness a hell-spawned band of heavy metal thrashers are trying to inflict their dire music on an innocent public. Only Lux can stop them. Elsewhere unknown forces claiming to be computer police pursue their own nefarious ends and men in vans try to stuff diamond rings down the throats of harmless onlookers."
   His voice gets louder. "Meanwhile Pearl is sinking in a swamp of utter helplessness, partly of her own making, obstinately refusing the help of Lux, the only person standing in the way of total disaster, striding gamely through every trouble that life throws at him and laughing in the face of adversity. Lux, hero of film and poetry notebook, shining spirit, guardian of artistic sensibilities, fearless pursuer after..."
   "Shut up, Lux," says Kalia, and stoops to help a young child back onto her bicycle.
   "I can't help it. I'm bored."
   "We're in the middle of a riot."


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti