tiistai 7. heinäkuuta 2015

Rivers of London, take 2


Title: Rivers of London
Author: Ben Aaronovitch
Published: 2011 by Gollanz
Genre: Urban fantasy
Pages: 390



Yeaaaah... again! I'd wanted to re-read books 1 and 2 even before I picked up 3 (and promptly 4 and 5) a month ago, but, better late than never. Turns out, Rivers of London (and Moon over Soho, being 100+ pages into that one already) is just as good on the second time around as on the first. Not in the least because I now have a firmer grasp on who's who. So many names!


The most important name to remember is Peter Grant, our main character and wise-cracking narrator. A probational constable almost done cooking, he's whisked away from the prospect of a dull desk-job as he happens to chat with a ghost one early January morning. The ghost is the sole witness to a strange murder, but who's going to take the word of a ghost seriously? Perhaps the last wizard in England, Inspector Nightingale, who snatches Peter up to become his apprentice.

Rivers of London is full of action, humour and characters that I've come to care for. What else could you ask of a good book? Well, sequels. Plllenty of sequels.


   The white boy with dreads leaned towards me and with great deliberation poked me in the face with his index finger. 'Poke,' he said, and giggled. Then he did it again.
   There's a point where a human being will lose it, just lash out at everything around them. Some people spend their lives on the edge of that - most of them end up doing time in prison. Some, a lot of them women, get ground down to that point over years, until one day it's hello, burning bed and a legal defence of extreme provocation. 
   I was at that point, and I could feel the righteous anger. How wonderful it would be just to fuck the consequences and let rip. Because sometimes you just want the fucking universe to take some notice - is that too fucking much to ask for? 
   Then I realised that was what it was all about.


So, uhh, looks like I've read more books in 2015 than I did in 2014! And it's only the beginning of July! In fact, I've read more books already this year than any year of blog-keeping. Yay! Here's to almost 50 more cracking open a new one's for 2015!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti