maanantai 27. huhtikuuta 2015

The Prophet Murders



Title: The Prophet Murders
Author: Mehmet Murat Somer
Published: 2003, English translation in 2008
Genre: Crime fiction in high heels
Pages: 234 + Glossary and Acknowledgments


About a month ago, at the local library, I found the third of this series, Hop-Çiki-Yaya -thrillers, translated into Finnish. But only the third. No One translated, no Two in any language, just... Three. Never mind the following ones. Still, I borrowed it out, read it immediately, and just as quickly bought this, the first of the series, as a used library copy. This little gem is from Texas, which explains why it took almost a month to get here! With three other books already underway, I managed to hold off starting this one for almost a day.

Anyway, yes. Set in Istanbul, our nameless heroine owns shares in a night club for transvestites, and is a bit of a highly talented computer wizard. Hey, it brings in good money! The book begins as one of the girls is found dead in strange circumstances. Not long after, another follows. Our heroine is both worried and curious, and starts to investigate on her own.

The Prophet Murders is fun, fast-paced and fun. Our heroine sometimes seems quite arrogant, but you know what? Bitches get shit done. Istanbul is almost a character itself, described beautifully and with love. I've been wanting to visit it for years, now more than ever. One day! For now, I can start looking into finding the next book. Or, finish one of the three I'm still also reading.


I grabbed a cup of coffee and the morning paper and settled into my chair by the window. It's my morning ritual. I drink only two cups of coffee a day. The first, always in the morning. Mind you, what I call "morning" is what ordinary people refer to as "the afternoon". I go to bed late. For I am, as they say, "a creature of the night".
   A news item on page three hit me like a slap in the face. 
   "Transvestite Burned to Death".

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti